- Move Your Body - Have you heard the good news? Exercise improves memory and brain function. You can take advantage of this to get more done in your day. First thing, before coffee or jumping on TMZ for the latest gossip, move your body. You could go for a walk. You could go for a run. Even something as simple as a few squats and arm circles will reap those brain-boosting benefits. You’ll be unstoppable!
- Get Rid of Distractions – Speaking of TMZ, don’t watch it…at least not when you need to get stuff done. Turn off the Internet; if you need to use it for research, set a timer or limit which sites you can visit with a utility like StayFocusd. Turn off email notifications. Put headphones on. Put a Do Not Disturb sign on your door.
- Create a Morning Ritual – Make your morning rock with a ritual. An effective morning ritual makes your tasks automatic, which will skyrocket your productivity. Think about it: you already have morning ritual: stuff you do every morning when you wake up. The trick is to change it slightly to achieve what you want each day. Start by deciding what tasks you want to perform each day. Exercise? Writing? Organizing? Next, attach that task to something you’re already doing, like brushing your teeth. Finally, do that task every day after your trigger. Do it for a few weeks to solidify it, and voila! You’ve got a new, productivity-boosting morning routine.
- Ditch the Clutter – Visual clutter is distracting. Put those piles of papers away in pretty folders in a desk drawer. Tidy up your workspace. Pick out your favorite, most meaningful couple of knick-knacks and donate the rest. Don’t forget your computer. Take all the icons on your desktop, put them in a folder and sort them out later. Close all unnecessary programs, and turn off any notifications and other distractions.
- Better Done than Perfect – We paralyze ourselves by trying to reach perfection. While it seems like an admirable pursuit, it’s really just another excuse for not completing something. Do the best job you can but get it done. You can’t edit a blank page.
How do you stay productive every day? Share your tips in the comments.